Wednesday, May 20, 2020

A fool and his money soon part ways. Proverbs 21:20

This article could've been called several things such as "haste makes waste" or "anything worth doing is worth doing right/well." I'm glad I was raised that way. I fall short every day, but not because I wasn't raised by the wisest, most loving, and sacrificial parents. 

Growing up in a middle class family, my brother and I had more than what we needed and most of what we wanted. Christmases were magical, as Santa's sleigh was definitely lighter when it left our house. We were not spoiled, though, and we were taught to work hard and appreciate things. I am glad of that, but it makes it harder for me to do (nice things) for people who do not work hard and appreciate things. When we were kids, if we wanted something, rather than our parents dropping everything to buy it then, my dad would have us call our neighbors and grandparents and ask if their cars needed to be washed or if their grass needed to be cut. If I remember correctly, they always said yes. Then, my dad would teach us how to do those jobs properly. Once we were paid, we were taught to tithe. We weren't just blindly taught to do so. We were shown where the Bible teaches about tithing. He taught us how to figure 10% of our earnings. Once the job was complete and the tithe was set aside, Daddy made us wait two weeks until he would take us to make the purchase or allow us to order whatever it was that we wanted. He didn't do that to be cruel, but to prevent us from using our hard-earned money to make impulse buys. He said that if we still wanted the item in two weeks that we must have really wanted it. If we had forgotten about it, we didn't really want it in the first place, so we could save the money for a wiser purchase. 

My most vivid memories of these valuable lessons are washing my dad's best friend's Volvo numerous times and cutting my grandmother's grass. My parents have a huge yard, so we cut their grass, too, but that was to earn our keep. When the Thomasville Wal-Mart was where Marvin's is now, I picked out a Disney watch with the character Goofy on it. It was $16 & some change. I worked, saved, and waited for that watch. Two weeks later, it was mine. 

As an adult, I look back and see my dad's wisdom. We learned to work for what we have. We learned how to be self-sufficient and take care of our own property and clean our own cars. These are two things that I am a stickler about to this day. When Jason and I first got married, he was a little embarrassed that I cut grass. He didn't want the neighbors to think he was too lazy to do it. I told him that was crazy. He worked all day and I was at home during the summers when I was a teacher. I had the time, know-how, and motivation to do it. He's okay with it now, lol. 

We also learned patience, in this area, anyway. I have no problem saving and waiting for something. Another time early in our marriage, Christmas was a few months away, and there was something I wanted that was probably $100 or so. Jason told me to "just go buy it." I told him I could wait until Christmas and put it on my list. He reminded me that we were two working adults and could afford it. I can't quote him verbatim, but I remember that he commented positively about the lessons my dad taught us about saving and waiting. 

Jared and I had countless conversations about this, and about how much we appreciate the sacrifices our parents made for us. We didn't ask for everything we saw because we knew my dad had worked in a hot sawmill all day and my mom had cleaned teeth all day. It would bother us to see children throw fits to get everything that was ever for sale or bicycles left outside in the rain. 

These weren't just lessons we were TAUGHT. We were SHOWN. I earned a degree without having to pay for student loans because my parents value education and didn't want me to be burdened with paying for it, so they saved. They did without things so we could have better. Everyone who knows us knows that my dad and I love a Mustang. The year after I finished college, my dad bought his first Mustang. I apologized to him for having to wait 23 years to get it. Of course, he thought that was ridiculous, but he knew what I meant. 

As always, I'm definitely not bragging on myself, but I will brag on my amazing parents ad nauseam because they are that deserving. If you see me being a knuckle head, it's not because I wasn't taught better. I started with a verse, so I'll end with one: Honor your father and your  mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you. Exodus 20:12 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your blog. Very inspiring and including the scriptures just adds to the truth of your message. Glad to say even at 61 I can learn something to make my life better. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I appreciate your kind words!

      Delete