Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Becoming a Voice

I have loved animals as long as I can remember. With the exception of about ten months, I've been a dog owner my whole life. I can't imagine life without my dogs and cats, and I don't really want to. The first pets I remember having are a pony, a terrier mix named Peewee, and a spaniel named Bobo. My dad raised Springer Spaniels when we were kids and the family was still ignorant of the benefits of rescue and cons of breeding. When I was in the sixth grade, we got a dachshund named Mozart. He was a huge part of the family. My senior year, we got our first rescue dog, a terrier named Tippie. She reminded my dad of the dogs he had when he was growing up. Tippie had been mistreated prior to joining our family. Even after living with my parents into her late teens, Tippie was afraid of loud, abrupt noises and other things. Between the time that Mozart and Tippie passed, my whole family began to embrace animal rescue. A popular rescue saying is "Saving the life of an animal won't change the world, but for that animal, the whole world changes." Although "rescued," when speaking of animals means "let down by humans" rather than "flawed," I am thankful that my family can look past issues that some rescues face, and give those animals the same unconditional love that they so graciously give us.
Me with Peewee, left, Maggie top right, Barney and Maggie bottom right

During my second year of teaching, I taught senior government classes, and we were studying special interest groups. On this particular day, the students received copies of the local paper. On the front page, there was a picture of and article about a little dog that had been shot, wrapped in a blanket, and thrown in a dumpster. She was found alive, but had to be euthanized due to her injuries. As a student in the front row read the article to her partner, I could hear her and see the picture of the dog. I had an immediate meltdown. This was my first time getting upset in class, so as a new teacher, I wasn't sure what to do. I said a prayer, regained my composure, and experienced my first teachable moment that would change my life. Here we were in government class learning about special interest groups while doing a current events assignment about an interest that is very special to me. A light bulb came on in  my head, and I was able to use the topic at hand as a prime example of how it takes people who feel strongly about a cause to start or join a special interest group in order to bring about positive change. From there, the Voice for the Animals Campaign (V4AC) was born.

The kids and I wrote to and petitioned our public officials about increasing the punishment for those who intentionally harm and neglect domesticated animals. I was living in Mobile at the time, Clarke County had no animal shelter, and Fulton had very few runners. I wanted to bring a 5K race to Fulton in an effort to grow the running community, and to raise money for V4AC. My fellow teacher, running coach, and treasured friend was an SEC champion runner and many-time state champion runner and coach. He guided our newly formed committee and me through the planning and executing of a successful 5K event.

Our first annual event was in the Spring of 2008. This year's is postponed due to the plandemic, but the show will go on as it has every year. I wish I had kept a list of the animals we've helped through the money raised, but I consider animal rescues an emergency. There is no time to make a list. Everything else stops until the animal (or animals) has been cared for properly. V4AC does not have the facilities to house animals, so we raise funds and awareness. Pearl and I have been to countless speaking engagements to teach people about proper animal care, adoption, controlling the pet population, etc. Through the funds raised at our events, V4AC has been able to donate thousands of dollars to local animal organizations, including our local shelter. One of my favorite things is the trap/spay/release program. Fulton would be overrun with feral cats had V4AC not started & funded that project. None would be possible without our generous donors and supporters.

If you're reading this on Facebook, there's a big chance that you already know who Pearl is. She is the unofficial poster child of V4AC. Prior to my learning the importance of rescue, we bought Jack and Bee, our dachshunds, from a breeder. Although they're not rescues, V4AC started because I want as many animals as possible to live the posh lives they live. In December of 2009, we were back in Fulton, and a friend from Mobile called to tell me that she found a white, deaf dachshund on the road on Dauphin Island. The dog had a note tied around her neck that said her name was Snowy, born November of 2005, she was deaf, and needed a home. Pearl took what I call the "Doggie Underground Railroad" to Fulton. We took her to the vet and learned that she had heart worms and had suffered a blow to the head that would eventually result in having to remove her eye. We had her spayed, treated for heart worms, and years later, had that eye removed. She never missed a beat.
Pearl

Since then, several other rescues have joined our family. We have Buck, a hound mix, and Drake, a lab mix. We also have 3 cats named Mojo, Cali, and Melania. I have 4 semi-feral cats that have been trapped, fixed, and released. I feed them in town every day. They know the sound of my car and run to greet me. Last but not least, we have a bulldog mix named Trooper. He is my best friend who entered my life when he and I both needed a friend. He will have his own article eventually. During this journey, I have acquired rescued siblings, as my parents have rescued and fostered many needy animals as well.

Rescuing has changed the lives of the animals we've helped, but it's changed our lives for the better, too. You don't have to rescue or foster to help this cause. You can simply share a Facebook post, send a check to the shelter, or donate an item to a shelter supply drive. If you want a pet, adopt one from a shelter. The love they give is unconditional. You will change their life and yours, create a vacancy at the shelter for another needy animal, and save money. A person can get help and tell someone they are hungry or being abused. Animals can't do that. We must be their voice. It's the least we can do.

Clarke County has opened a shelter, and several wonderful ladies and volunteers have made it a success. Maintaining that success requires donations and volunteers, so please reach out and help if this is a cause that is important to you.

I know that God used that emotional day to use my students, the V4AC committee, and myself to be the voice for needy animals in our area. Maybe you feel about another cause the way I feel about animals. Don't be afraid to use your gifts to make a difference for that cause. No matter how big or small, you can change the life of a person or animal. Two of my favorite quotes regarding this are as follows:

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Gandhi

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." Dr. Seuss from The Lorax

No comments:

Post a Comment