Monday, February 15, 2021

I Wear Red for My Grandfathers

 My second experience losing a grandparent to heart disease was less than a year after the first. It was my maternal grandfather, Donald Hicks. We called him Pa, like Opie Taylor called Andy. When I think of Pa, I think of gardening, five-dollar bills, parched peanuts, softball games, and a forked twig on a smokehouse.

My mom's dad, Bro. Donald Hicks

My mom’s parents lived in Grove Hill, about 15 minutes away, so Jared and I didn’t spend as much time there as we did our other grandmothers who lived a rock’s throw away. In hindsight, I see that my maternal grandmother, Mema (Mee-maw), and I have a lot of similarities. She was a teacher, and we always did cool things at when we were there. Most of them involved learning. She was into herbs and healthy eating, too. It seems like Pa was always working in his garden. He was retired from ALDOT, but he was also a pastor. I was a small child when he was still preaching, but I’ve heard numerous people say that he could quote more scripture than anyone they’ve ever known. In his younger years, he was an award-winning fiddler.

Mema and Pa always came to visit us on our birthdays. If it wasn’t your birthday, Pa still gave you a five-dollar bill. I always thought that was cool. He also parched the most delicious peanuts. I don’t know if I’ve had any since he died. Pa had a smokehouse in his backyard. He kept it closed with a small twig that was forked on the end. I can still picture it. After he died and my grandmother moved to an assisted living facility, my brother moved into their house. He and I looked all over for that twig, but we never found it. It would be neat to have. Pa came to most of my home softball games. He would come walking up wearing a trucker hat and carrying a lawn chair. I was always happy to see him.

One Friday afternoon of my freshman year in college, I had just come home for the weekend. We were called to the ER in Grove Hill because Pa was found slumped over in his carport. I think he had already passed when the ambulance arrived. He had suffered a massive heart attack. Pa requested a small service. We had a visitation and graveside service, where we sang Amazing Grace. Pa was a simple man. He would have liked it.


My dad's dad, Scott Clemens

I never had a chance to meet my paternal grandfather. His name was Scott Clemens. He was born in Scottsboro, AL, in 1931, but he lived most of his life in Fairhope. In school, he was the president of the 4H Club, and voted “Most Witty.” That explains a lot! Anyone who knows my dad knows that that apple didn’t fall far from the tree, and I often have irresistible urges to “pull people’s legs.”

After high school, he joined the US Navy and fought on an aircraft carrier during the Korean War. He was a member of the National Guard when he passed. He was athletic, played softball, and coached baseball for his kids. He worked as the superintendent over the natural gas department for the City of Fairhope.

He died in 1991 at the age of 59 from an aortic aneurysm. This is not considered heart disease, but vascular disease. Sometimes the two are lumped together. He smoked and drank for most of his adult life, and the AHA lists those as factors contributing to aortic aneurysms. See the link attached for more information.

Even though no one in my immediate family had the privilege of meeting him, we did get to meet my dad’s youngest brother when I was in college. His name is also Scott, and we are close to him and his wonderful family. They have been and continue to be such blessings to us. Scott is closer to my age than he is my dad’s, and we share a common love of fitness. Scott’s mother, who was married to my grandfather, identified many similarities in my dad and “the Scotts.” They obviously look alike, and she said they have the same mannerisms. My dad writes in all caps, and she said Scott did, too. Genes are strong. Having said that, since 3 of my grandparents died of heart-related conditions, I want to do all I can to keep my heart as healthy as possible. I wear red for my grandfathers, Donald (Pa) and Scott.


L-R: My uncle Scott Clemens, me, my dad

 Aortic Aneurysm Information from the American Heart Association 

2 comments:

  1. Very touching story Thanks for sharing there are Days I need hope and Know the Lord still has a plan for me regardless of what tries to attack me about Health,are whatever arena of life! Need Prayers and answers about the next Phrase of mylife!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reading and for your kind words. I will definitely be praying for you. You never know who is watching and admiring your strength. Jeremiah 29:11-13.

    ReplyDelete